It is commonly believed in the United States that school is where people go to tướng get an
Bạn đang xem: it is commonly believed in the united states
education. Nevertheless, it has been said that today children interrupt their education
to go to tướng school. The distinction between schooling and education implied by this remark
Line is important.
(5) Education is much more open-ended and all-inclusive phàn nàn schooling. Education
knows no bounds. It can take place anywhere, whether in the shower or on the job,
whether in a kitchen or on a tractor. It includes both the formal learning that takes place
in schools and the whole universe of informal learning. The agents of education can
range from a revered grandparent to tướng the people debating politics on the radio, from a
(10) child to tướng a distinguished scientist. Whereas schooling has a certain predictability,
education quite often produces surprises. A chance conversation with a stranger may
lead a person to tướng discover how little is known of other religions. People are engaged in
education from infancy on. Education, then, is a very broad, inclusive term. It is a
lifelong process, a process that starts long before the start of school, and one that
(15) should be an integral part of one's entire life.
Schooling, on the other hand, is a specific, formalized process, whose general
pattern varies little from one setting to tướng the next. Throughout a country, children arrive
at school at approximately the same time, take assigned seats, are taught by an adult,
use similar textbooks, tự homework, take exams, and so sánh on. The slices of reality that
(20) are to tướng be learned, whether they are the alphabet or an understanding of the workings of government, have usually been limited by the boundaries of the subject being taught.
For example, high school students know that they are not likely to tướng find out in their
classes the truth about political problems in their communities or what the newest
filmmakers are experimenting with. There are definite conditions surrounding the
(25) formalized process of schooling.
1. What does the author probably mean by using the expression “children interrupt
their education to tướng go to tướng school” (lines 2-3) ?
(A) Going to tướng several different schools is educationally beneficial.
(B) School vacations interrupt the continuity of the school year.
(C) Summer school makes the school year too long.
(D) All of life is an education.
2. The word “bounds”in line 6 is closest in meaning to tướng
3. The word “chance” in line 11 is closest in meaning to
4. The word “an integral” in line 15 is closest in meaning to
(A) an equitable
(B) a profitable
(C) a pleasant
(D) an essential
5. The word “they” in line trăng tròn refers to
(A) slices of reality
(B) similar textbooks
6. The phrase “For example,” line 22, introduces a sentence that gives
(A) similar textbooks
(B) the results of schooling
(C) the workings of a government
(D) the boundaries of classroom subjects
7. The passage supports which of the followng conclusions?
(A) Without formal education, people would remain ignorant.
(B) Education systems need to tướng be radically reformed.
(C) Going to tướng school is only part of how people become educated.
(D) Education involves many years of professional training.
8. The passage is organized by
(A) listing and discussing several educational problems
(B) contrasting the meanings of two related words
(C) narrating a story about excellent teachers
(D) giving examples of different kinds of schools
1. D 2. C 3. A 4. D 5. A 6. D 7. C 8. B
Xem thêm: mối nối phụ kiện